Thursday, January 05, 2006

talkin' politics.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to politics. The media basically feeds me my belief system (I choose what I want to believe, of course) and I know how very wrong that is.

On Christmas eve this year, my 18-year-old cousin was giving the family a lesson in Canadian politics. He knows his stuff, but he supports the Conservatives. I'm a bit of a Liberal man myself, even after the corruption, the non-confidence vote, etc.

I loved Jean Chretien. He talked funny, and he didn't take any shit from protesters, or even Dubya. Like Clinton, he gracefully dodged controversy and is still very well-liked. I'm not too stoked on Paul Martin, but I can't be bothered to learn all of the facts and decide whether it's time to change my mind.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a discussion about my political beliefs. The fact is, I'm as proud today as ever to be a Canadian. If I cared enough to do so, I could air my anti-government beliefs here, and go undetected.

That is not the case in China, where MSN is censoring Chinese bloggers to appease the Chinese government. Poor guy made the mistake of having an opinion. A different opinion.

Also, some unlucky party-goers and innocent by-standers were nicked by local police in Malaysia for so-called Satanism and other supposed mis-deeds. Their crime? Trying to enjoy a New Year's party.

And last but not least, our neighbors to the South, who's FCC has chased Howard Stern to sattelite radio (expect a boom there) and since the "Janet incident" have made every single live television event worth watching so sickeningly watered-down (don't forget about the 6 second delay...) that they might as well be taped. I even heard they were trying to put pressure on the Turino Olympic committee to promise that there would be no suggestive imagery in the Olympic ceremonies. After all, the Greeks managed to sneak some (very traditional) nude figurines onto some of the floats when they threw the party a few years back. Who do these Greeks think they are? You'd think they invented the Olympics with the way they try to force their culture on the rest of the viewing world. For shame!

Seriously though...I've never been an activist type, but it's nice to know that if I was, my goverment would protect my right to voice my opinion.

'Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home