Monday, January 30, 2006

superbowl XL, not all hype for me this year

For as long as I can remember, I have treated SuperBowl Sunday like a holiday. In all that time, I can't remember even once caring about the outcome of the game, only that I've always been pissed that the Canadian stations I'm forced to watch pre-empt the million-dollar ads in favor of Canadian content.

Well this year's different, for several reasons. For one, I just got back from Seattle. The Seahawks are making their first appearance at the big dance and I got wrapped up in the romance of it all, in just two short days. The Space Needle has a large flag on top, with "12" on it; nothing more. Why? Because the fans of Seattle are considered the 12th man. I was listening to a Seattle radio station this morning (Vancouver's just a short hop away) and they have even written a clever little rap song about the most feared audience in pro football. Too bad only a few will be able to make the trip to Detroit, where the Steelers are likely to have a larger fan contingent by geographic default.

The other reason why I feel better about the Bowl this year is not just my wife's chicken wings (every year, and I love her for it) but the fact all the best ads are already available or soon to be, as Adrants reported today. Maybe they didn't hear ME say it, but they obviously understand that the 'net is the place to get a better ROI for a massive extravagent expense like a Superbowl ad.

So, to sum up: I'm publicly admitting that I'm the latest passenger on the Seahawk bandwagon. And I might even download one or two of those ads, if I hear enough people raving about them.

Go Seahawks.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Alex Lee Behan said...

you'll get your chicken wings this year too. maybe they'll help you choke down those canuck commercials.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

Jordan since you're a Canadian, what do you think of Nettwerk's taking on the RIAA? I've long been a fan of Nettwerk, and their Director of Marketing, Erin Kinghorn, let me interview her last week, which I posted on BMA. Check it out if you get a chance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home