Friday, February 03, 2006

not just a superbowl ad

Superbowl ads are expensive. REALLY expensive. I think it's up to $2.5 million a spot, so if you're in that league, you want to make it count.

The last thing that I would ever do is encourage somebody to dole out that kind of cash for a mere 30 seconds of air time, but if you must, then you better milk it for all it's worth.

I happily admit that I am a customer of godaddy.com (three domains and counting) and I got a kick out of the controversy over last years Bowl ad, where the girl's tank-top strap bursts open in the courtroom...you know the one.

Anyway, this year, they wanted to run another ad during the game. So they shot a bunch of them, knowing full well that they would not be approved for the Sunday afternoon audience on a major US network. Then they sent out a press release that they had been denied. Then, they held a press conference. Then, they tried no less that 14 times to get their ad ok'd by the network brass, and finally were approved.

I'm no dummy, I realize this was part of the plan all along, but I can really appreciate that they created so much hype over their thirty second ad; the resulting publicity is arguably worth the investment.

I have to give Adrants credit for keeping me up to date on the saga, but it's godaddy.com themselves that are hosting the complete timeline of the process, including all of the rejected versions. (enter the code and you can watch 'em all)

Budweiser has been putting their Super Bowl ads online for years. No news there. But godaddy.com just made buying a superbowl ad a news story. Several times over. Clever boys, clever.

Admission of guilt: I'm trying to break this post down as marketing and advertising science, but in truth, I had a much more testosterone-driven motivation...watch the ads, you'll catch my meaning.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

Jordan what did you think of the ads? Go-Daddy's was eh...IMO not great, not terrible. Very surprised that they ran the SAME spot a second time.

Loved the Budweiser commercials, esp 'Secret Fridge' and 'Clydesdale American Dream'. The Hummer and MacGyver spots were other favorites.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Secret Fridge definitely got the biggest laugh from me. It had a very "Canadian" feel to it.

As for Godaddy, that ad really was nothing without first seeing the rejected versions. Kinda like an inside joke that only us techie types were in on.

Thanks for visiting again Mack. I have posted my two bits on the whole game, if you want to check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home