Monday, March 13, 2006

file under: Marathon 2007













(Photo: Vancouver Marathon)

I'm waiting for my pulse to return to normal before I take a shower. I just got back from a 9 km run (conversion to miles, anyone?) on the "Terry Fox" Trail in Central Park in Burnaby. First run in ages. I feel surprisingly good. I thought it would be a struggle, but it wasn't.

So now, still reeling from the all the activity, feeling somewhat bullet-proof after my attempt at athleticism, I'm taking a huge risk (by my standards) by making a major announcement. I told my wife already (probably only half seriously), but now I'm going public with it:

Here's MY social blogging experiment. No milliondollarhomepage, no $39, no lucky list. (link from mom)


I am going to finish a marathon before I turn 31. A real one. 26.2 MILES (conversion to km, anyone?). That means before July of next year.

And now that I have posted it live, by my own admission, I am accountable to that goal. Because you're gonna hold me accountable. I've been tested already; my computer froze while writing this post (providing a great opportunity to back out), but then the Essential Mix I was listening to in iTunes came back to life, and the cursor started blinking again. A sign.

Certain recent developments in my life have sparked a new sense of freedom, of choices and future considerations. Now is the time to make them, and this is the first of several big ones that will shape my future and that of family. But I'm rambling. Back to the plan:

I have no training schedule yet. No end race in mind. No training partner (Ryan? Corrie?) But I have a goal. And I've devised the system for updates:

1. Each update post will be short, and include the date and training distance, a link to this post, and not much more. Light reading that I hope my audience will check in on, in addition to my marketing babblespeak.

2. As I schedule training runs, secure dates, up the mileage and learn how to convert metric to imperial, I will update.

3. I will always use some form of self-deprecating commentary in hopes of generating some words of encouragement, links and comments, and nothing more.

4. I WILL ask readers for pledges for charity training runs, etc. but my Mom and Grandma are readers, so I'll surely see at least SOME response there.

That's it. If you're not super stoked for me...then act like it, please. An undertaking like this takes a LOT of will power; I may need to borrow some of yours, at times.

12 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan,

Good for you! With your public pronouncement, there's no way you won't succeed.

Years ago, running a marathon was one of my personl goals too. Maybe it's time to dust it off.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Alex Lee Behan said...

honey- you're a hero in my books! you know that the closest thing to a marathon i'll get is waiting for you at the finish line. will try not to pull a cramer and pass you a hot coffee! love your wife
p.s. 9k= 5.59 miles
26.2 miles= 42.16kms

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

JB

My goal was the 2006 Vancity Marathon, until I wrecked my ankle. My new goal? 2007. I'm with ya bud.

Let's get trotting.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

PS: I use www.pandora.com for my audio pleasures. It's absolutely fantastic.

Trust me on that one. I'd never steer the blogging faithful wrong.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Might be worth taking a look at this calculator to get your predicted time, and to set some goals for your pace as you train over longer distances. See http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=6765

It sounds like the Vancouver marathon is a whole lot easier to get into compared with the London Marathon..

Good luck.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Alex Lee Behan said...

Screw the Vancouver marathon... honey- let's take you to run in the LONDON marathon with Shane & Carly!! I'll go shopping while you run your heart out! :-)

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

Suddenly my jogging back and forth to the mailbox every day doesn't seem so spectacular anymore....

I admire your determination Jordan, good luck!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Update: Fear (and lactic acid) have settled in. What have I done?

As I hoped though, a great response from some faithful TTF visitors.

And now I have a training partner and a distance calculator, just like that!

Thanks all, esp. Shane and Carly, and to Ryan, who's gonna make it happen with me.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry guys, entry to the London Marathon is done by lottery because of the huge demand - I didn't make it in this time around so it'll be a while until I have another chance if I head back to Australia as planned.

I know people who have entered the lottery 4 & 5 times and still haven't secured a spot.

I think it'll be the Sydney Marathon for me as a step up from my 10km preferred distance.


-shane

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Jord, I just hope you don't jump on the bus at mile 7.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger jtreem said...

Jordan,

I am pretty sure I hold the title of "least likely person to have run four marathons."

If I can do it, you certainly can. I'm a little biased, but Chicago is a great first marathon. Flat, tons of people cheering you on, great city.

If you are looking for a good training routine, check out www.halhigdon.com

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Spargo, I had guessed that London must be difficult, by your first comment.

Boston has the biggest run in N. America, and requires you to qualify, but both Vancouver and Victoria are qualifiers, so let's call Boston my "by the time I retire" goal.

Jeff, thanks a bunch for the Hal Higdon link, super helpful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home