Friday, April 07, 2006

celebrate RSS Appreciation Day, by...

Doing the same thing you do all the time.

Steve Rubel has come up with an idea to celebrate what he calls RSS Appreciation Day on May 1st.


I spotted the movement on Brand Dialogue, and it seems like a pretty good idea. The truth is, those of us who get our news, classified ads and blogging entertainment through RSS feeds are still considered early adopters, and we remain a major monority in the online world.

Hell, those of us who use Firefox are still an overwhelming minority. While we're on that subject, if you're viewing my blog with Internet Explorer, join the movement. You won't regret it. Follow the link; it's a fun way to make the switch. (Here's a bonus for current Firefox users: Rob's list of his favorite plug-ins)

I'm not sure about the rest of you, dear readers, but it seems that nary a week goes by that I don't try to verbalize to a friend or family member what an blog is; followed by an attempt at defining RSS. Blank stares, that's what I usually get. Some people humor me, but I know that barely any of what I've said has hit home. Often impatient, "Look it up on Wikipedia," I'll say. Same blank stare.

For the uninitiated: Here, once and for all is the aforementioned site's community-built definition of Really Simple Syndication. (Read the whole page if you're a feed newbie)

But on May 1st, I pledge to be infinitely patient, and take every bit as long as necessary to explain RSS to a complete virgin, or two. Pass it on, people. It's our responsibility to share our knowledge; to shed light on a piece of technology that could change someone's life. Or at least make it a bit easier.


2 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Masey said...

I did my little bit. I recently got my mate "Bosh" all set up on "Netvibes.com" (now all new and improved with page tabs), and fully up to speed with the concept and benefits of RSS. A very satisfying feeling indeed.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Alas, 'twas you who first helped ME to see the light.

You have more than done your part on that front.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home