Tuesday, April 11, 2006

blog love from on high, via a bonafide A-lister

More on Guy Kawasaki: He sees marketing, design and execution from a different perspective. The perspective of a Venture Capitalist.



I've seen him speak (via Quicktime, not in the flesh) and gleaned a lot of great info from his blog. "The Art of the Start" has gone on my Amazon wishlist. He's the reason I've decided that I might have to sneak across the border to buy a Scion XB (not available off the lot in Canada!), and plaster it with Tell Ten Friends logos, but that's a story for another day. Let's just say (without sounding too sucky, I hope) that as a fledgling entrepreneur, I'm paying attention to this guy.

He's had a blog now for just 100 days. In that time, he first cracked the Top 500, and now sits well inside the Technorati Top 100, at 86.

He's eyeing the top ten, here's why I think he might get there: Yesterday, I read in his post about Filmloop that if you tested it out, and emailed him the resulting page/post, he would add you to his blogroll. "Pffft!" I thought to myself. "The guy's an A-lister, he'll never make good on that." So I tested him.

Well, he made good. This may not be the case forever, but as of this writing, there it is on the right of his page, in the "Bloop Roll." A link to me. Or in fact, a link to my post from yesterday, containing the "looplet" of photos of my wife. Nice, hey?

His subscription base: 15, 000. Mine: still a secret, due to its modesty. But with help from Guys like, well...Guy, and not to mention Mack at BMA, I might be proudly displaying my feedburner stats in no time at all.

PS:: One thing that Mr. Kawasaki advocates is to avoid using "I" in your blog, wherever possible. Here, I disagree. I created this blog, so I'M gonna talk about ME when the mood strikes. Most of my favorite blogs share that trait: a glimpse into someone's mind; their personal point of view.

PPS:: A special shoutout to my first positive review from the Southern Hemisphere. You know who you are, Brisbane!

Uses of "I" in this post: 13. And no apologies for it.

3 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

I checked it out, and sure enough there you are right on the side, congrats! I'm sure that will give a nice boost to your traffic, which you deserve. And thanks for linking to his post. A few weeks ago my daily blog-read list was getting so huge I had to prune a few out, and Guy's blog was one I had to cut. Reading this link reminds me that I needed to add him back.

BTW love how Guy makes a point of saying not to go overboard with the 'i did this, i do that', etc, then along comes Scoble in the comments to make it all 'i will do this, i will do that'. LMAO! Par for the course...

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, the "I" gives your blog personality, so I'm all for it. That, and mentions and pictures of Alex. :-)

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Thanks, both of you.

I too did some Spring cleaning of my feeds, Mack; but I sacrificed the stuff I was getting little value from.

Sorry to Boing Boing, Gawker, Engadget, and the rest of the "guilty pleasure" blogs I slashed off my list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home