Thursday, April 13, 2006

every-little-thing you do is marketing

Again I point my readers to the blog of John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing. He points out that something as simple as answering the question, "What do you do for a living?" can help to position someone as more than just their job title.

Using my brother as an example...Wrong answer: "I'm a realtor." A more correct, value-added suggestion: "I specialize in helping people make smart investments in finding a place that they can call home."

Why not take the opportunity to show people that you're different/better than the rest? Now let's do me...Wrong answer: "I own a marketing company. On the in-ter-nets." Value-added reply this time: "I help other small-business owners discover their company's identity, and grow their profile in their respective markets." Wordy, but unquestionably better.

As Jantsch says, the answer should cause the listener to think, "Hmm. Tell me more about that." Something to think about the next time you're trying to make a memorable impression at a networking event.

Bonus link:: Via Adrants, a new "Barber Blog," created by a men's products company. I don't have time to explain fully why I think this is so cool...Let's just say I wish I'd thought of it myself.

Lastly:: I am taking some time off to be with the greatest family in the world for the long weekend; back sometime mid-next week. Cheers, and Happy Easter!

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Masey said...

Alright champ... I need a snazzy description for what I do (not even sure I know what I do yet)... so what you got for me?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

How's this?

"I let people view the world through my eyes; with the lens of my camera and with graphic design."

Perhaps a bit on the cheesy side, but hard to forget...re-work it mate; make it your own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home