Tuesday, May 02, 2006

use 30boxes to organize your life

I used to have a Handspring. Sold it. Then I had a Palm Tungsten C. Sold that, too. I just couldn't be bothered with lugging around another bulky tech-device (the iPod has its reserved belt space as it is).

I'll always have a cellphone, and I believe that I should be able to get anything I want out of the one device. And I don't think it's too much to ask to have it all without having an $80-a-month phone and data plan on my handset (a la Blackberry). So, I check my gmail from my new phone with my included web browsing feature, and forego the cost of the data service. Still, my phone's organizer leaves a little to be desired.

Maybe it's just me, but I want it all. And I want it for cheap, or free. Don't you?

So it was with much delight that I came across the Google Calendar (no link for you this time, Google!). I was thrilled when Tara Hunt told us that it would SMS you alerts about your events, etc. My joy was deflated rather quickly when I discovered that the SMS service was available in the US, but not in Canada.

Then I found 30boxes.com. This tip-off also came from Tara, and although she says she's using Google Calendar instead, I've decided to switch in the opposite direction, because in Canada, 30boxes WILL SMS you alerts about your scheduled events. This whole idea is far from perfect, but it is certainly handy to be able to share your calendar with "buddies," and buzz yourself when you've got a meeting, etc. I like it, so far. Suprisingly, the text service costs nothing (unless your carrier charges you, and they WILL) so it's really a handy means of time management.

Check it out, it may make your life a little easier. (This handy new Web 2.0 product brought to you by Tell Ten Friends)

Bonus Link:: YouTube, who I'm obviously a big fan of, have really hit the big time. Check out this Washington Post article that explains the significance of user-generated content like YouTube, MySpace, etc. Here's an excerpt, about 21-year-old YouTube user David Lehre, who has become a star on the site:

In an interview, Lehre described a recent series of meetings with the heads of major TV and movie studios. "Every meeting I went into, they were pretty much scared of me," Lehre said. "They were kind of looking to me for the answer. I'm hitting a market they're not hitting anymore, and they're looking for the next big thing."

Lehre believes entertainment executives are looking to the way young people use the Internet to keep their businesses viable. "People connect with my movies because I'm just 21, and all my friends are 18, 19, 20," Lehre said. "Kids our age want to see stuff that we make."

He's right.

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger hillary said...

you've probably already figured this out, but i thought i'd let you know that 30b also has a great mobile interface. since you use your phone for gmail, might as well use it for your calendar and todo lists.

http://mobile.30boxes.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home